Guess We're Getting a (Trade) War With China Whether We Wanted It or Not

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion & War Issues' started by quoththeraven, Dec 2, 2016.

1. The [expletive deleted] President-Elect, who probably hasn't bothered to be fully briefed by the State Department yet, BREACHED PROTOCOL by calling the president of Taiwan. Apparently he doesn't realize that no President or President-elect has spoken to the leader of Taiwan since Jimmy Carter announced full diplomatic relations with China, ending relations with Taiwan.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...taiwanese-leader-breaking-precedent/94831986/

"I'm shocked, shocked, that ignoring the State Department and winging conversations with foreign leaders has triggered an international incident! " Daniel W. Drezner, who is a professor of international politics at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University, said in an email to USA TODAY. "Now Americans have to hope that Beijing responds by retaliating against Trump's business interests rather than American interests in the Pacific Rim."

And some linked the call to Trump's business interests in Taiwan.

"Everything we feared about Donald Trump wreaking havoc is coming true," said Jessica Mackler, president of the Democratic super PAC American Bridge.." A report that Trump risks a major rift with China by speaking with the Taiwanese leader proves that Trump is dangerously incapable of keeping the United States safe — and this is still nearly two months before his inauguration. Was Donald Trump interested in breaking with more than forty years of U.S. policy because he wants to make money by building a hotel in Taiwan? Or is Trump simply threatening our precarious relationship with China because he is naive?"

Does he not realize the PRC is the most populous country on earth with a large standing army, nuclear weapons, and a public with long memories?

While this probably won't start an immediate war, this is a sign things aren't going to go well.

Perhaps someday someone will call a book about recent events "How to Go From Superpower to Laughingstock of the World in One Election."

AdamSmith and marylander1940 like this.
  2. BOZO T CLOWN

BOZO T CLOWN Viscount

ROLFMAO to the above.

What's your point? David Drezner, a lefty college professor and Jessica Mackler, head of a liberal democrat superPac criticized Mr. Trump's call to a US ally. Who cares (other than you, Mrs. Drezner, and Mr. Mackler)? I can guarantee you that Mr. Trump, his supporters, and almost all of America don't care what they have to say.
    Really..... you gotta do better than that...

America Will Be Great Again
    49 days to go

Bozo

[​IMG]

pubic_assistance likes this.
  3. MassageGuy

MassageGuy Lord

Bozo is repeating himself.... Consuming to much nectar of the Donald...

marylander1940 likes this.
  4. Laugh all you want, @BOZO T CLOWN, but this is a big booboo. I notice you don't quote Ari Fleischer, just rag on the messengers you deem vulnerable to attack on political grounds.

5. BOZO T CLOWN

BOZO T CLOWN Viscount

And it's a big boo-boo because quotetheraven, a lefty college professor, and the head of a liberal democrat superPac say it is?
    Please spare me the opinions of liberal academics, the corrupt and biased media, left-wingers, and the elitist class.
    Mr. Trump is President-elect Trump because the American people voted for a change. Mr. Trump beats to his own drummer. And it's the drumbeat of the forgotten Americans.
    This is just the beginning. Be prepared for four years of unconventional governing by the man who will make America Great again....

49 days to go

Bozo

[​IMG]

pubic_assistance and RockyMount like this.
  6. bigjoey

bigjoey Marquess

MikeBiDude and BOZO T CLOWN like this.
  7. bostonman

bostonman Count

This is what happens when the country elects someone to the highest office in the land who:

1) Doesn't have any fucking idea what he's doing in terms of the job, and doesn't give a fuck about finding out about the fucking rules and/or playing by those rules

2) Doesn't take the fucking time to fucking listen to anyone anyway.

4 years of this, folks...4 long years...if we even survive that long...and technically that 4 years hasn't even started yet.

Fuck.

8. BOZO T CLOWN

BOZO T CLOWN Viscount

This is what happens when the country elects someone to the highest office in the land who doesn't take his marching orders from the establishment or elitist class.

As stated by BigJoey, America foreign policy is run by the President of the United States, not the unelected leadership of a communist dictatorship.

49 days to go

Bozo

[​IMG]

9. WilliamM

WilliamM Prince

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    pitman and nynakedtop like this.
  10. Trump is not president. He is acting against current US policy and interests, as evidenced by the White House feeling the need to issue a statement that there had been no policy shift toward China.

Just because the PRC doesn't like something like talking with the Dalai Lama is not a reason for a fully-briefed President not to do it, but the PRC/Taiwan divide is a fundamental one. Anyone who knew what they were doing would not make this mistake.

nynakedtop and WilliamM like this.
  11. When it comes to diplomacy, Trump is a dumb cluck. Feel free to replace the "cl" in "cluck" with an "f."

nynakedtop likes this.
  12. BOZO T CLOWN

BOZO T CLOWN Viscount

And those of us who gave Mr. Trump an electoral college mandate feel the same way about Obama.

49 days to go

Bozo

[​IMG]

RockyMount and pubic_assistance like this.
  13. WilliamM

WilliamM Prince

@Kenny was banned for calling President-Elect Trump "Dumpster" on a regular basis. I have no use for Trump, but Kenny was banned from Thanksgiving until January 1, 201. It was his 2nd timeout, which explains the length. And Kenny and three others were pardoned by Daddy a few days later. Still be careful, my friend.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  14. bigjoey

bigjoey Marquess

I believe China/Tibet is just as fundamental a divide with China as Taiwan. China is absorbing Tibet by population transfer and wiping out the indigenous culture. China considers Tibet a province of China just as it does Taiwan.

Now it appears that the difference you see between Obama/Delai Lama and Trump/Taiwan is that Obama was fully knowledgable of what he was doing and Trump was not. That is legitimate for a difference in that Obama knew the consequences of his act and Trump did not. However, as you note, in the future, with forethought, I see no reason why a president could not talk to a leader from Taiwan just as Obama talked to a leader from Tibet. China has not consulted us as it absorbs Tibet or The South China Sea with its artificial islands.

Hopefully, Trump will find a solid Secretary of State who will run the foreign relations show and educate Trump.

15. RockyMount

RockyMount Knight

China runs a big trade surplus with the USA. They have the most to lose from a trade war with us.

BOZO T CLOWN likes this.
  16. RockyMount

RockyMount Knight

And yet Trump has already saved over 1,000 people their jobs and saved their families from certain misery. What a disaster he is!

BOZO T CLOWN likes this.
  17. BOZO T CLOWN

BOZO T CLOWN Viscount

Rocky,

Bozo LOVES your new avatar. A testament to liberal hypocrisy and delusion.

49 days to go

Bozo

18. Sounds familiar...

This is also related

longtime lurker likes this.
  19. WilliamM

WilliamM Prince

I was part of a day long war game two years ago. I was one of four representatives of Vietnam. The war game started with China invading India. We initially saw this as a chance to obtain military equipment for the western European countries and the U.S. to perhaps challenge China concerning the off-shore island near Vietnam. Every move Vietnam made was immediately countered by China. The one thing that Vietnam did get was a request from the Tibet government in exile to relocate from India to Vietnam.

My point is the U.S. would have to think through again all the possible consequence of starting a dialogue with Taiwan.

Trump may not know the entire history of China/Taiwan/U.S., but I hope next time he asks someone on his staff who does know..

marylander1940 likes this.
  20. bigjoey

bigjoey Marquess

President Obama sells $1.83 billion in military items to Taiwan and you are worried about the consequences of a single phone call between the president elect and the leader of Taiwan? I would think the sale of military material is looked at in a harsher light than a single phone call.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2015/12/16/politics/u-s-taiwan-arms-sales/index.html