Harpsichord, anyone?

Discussion in 'Comedy & Tragedy' started by gallahadesquire, Sep 7, 2015.

1. whipped guy

whipped guy Regent

A pleasant way to spend a half hour. I enjoyed the parts where the score was available so one could follow what was being performed.

AdamSmith likes this.
  2. whipped guy

whipped guy Regent

I just noticed this post. I love the harpsichord, but somehow this thread got diverted to the king of instruments and that is not a bad thing. Accordingly, I think that we need a thread that is entitled "Organ, anyone?" I can assure you that would attract more than "3 0r 4 of us here". Plus, it could open up a whole new vista for many others. I certainly have learned quite a bit about the organ from this thread alone! Plus, who knows!?!? Some who love the organ might have never even checked things out down here!

AdamSmith likes this.
  3. Rudynate

Rudynate Count

A student at the Eastman School in Rochester gave me a tour once. There was a corridor along which there were several little sound-proof practice rooms. Each one was a pipe organ.

AdamSmith likes this.
  4. body2body

body2body Baron

I just booked a ticket to a Los Angeles Philharmonic concert in February. Salonen is returning to conduct concerts focusing on French music called "City of Light". One concert will have the the Concerto for Organ, Strings, and Timpani by Francis Poulenc ( along with a work for voice and Orchestra "Correspondances" by Dutilleux, and the complete Ravel "Mother Goose"). Reading this thread made me aware that I'd never heard the Disney Hall Organ. It is magnificent looking ( Frank Gehry was involved in the design). I know nothing about organs, or organists, but I adore Poulenc, so thanks to you all I'm off to rectify that situation in February.
    Attached is a link to the complete stop list:
    http://disneyhallorgan.com/stoplist/
    Since that seems to be of interest to those with real knowledge in this area as well as this video

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
    whipped guy and AdamSmith like this.
  5. AdamSmith

AdamSmith Count de Crisco

sync and whipped guy like this.
  6. whipped guy

whipped guy Regent

Somehow more than 50 percent look as though they could be death masks of Igor Stravinski who looked like death even when he was alive. I'm not sure I could identify any of them definitively and even those who are obviously sporting 18th Century style wigs. Though I think I recognized Bach, Mozart, and Vivaldi, possibly that is!?!?

In any event, this is Beethoven's death mask:

[​IMG]

AdamSmith likes this.
  7. AdamSmith

I had the almost identical thought that many of them looked like death masks. I will root around for info on these knobs -- maybe they were.

8. whipped guy

whipped guy Regent

To @AdamSmith I appreciate that you ignored my misspelling of Stravinsky. I had just had a discussion with my Polish neighbor about 20 minutes previously and we decided that to spell most Polish names you start with a given consonant, put a whole bunch of z's alternating with a couple of vowels, and then add ski at the end. So I had ski on my mind!

AdamSmith likes this.
  9. AdamSmith

LOL! One (minor, but still) strain of my ancestry is Welsh, to speak which you omit all the vowels except "y," then pronounce even that as a consonant. :D

whipped guy likes this.
  10. whipped guy

whipped guy Regent

Like this?!?!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AdamSmith likes this.
  11. body2body

body2body Baron

The Germans spell it Strawinsky, the Poles spell it Strawinski, and the Russians spell it Стравинский. Everything except the Russian in the original Cyrillic is a transliteration. To my eye WG you didn't misspell anything.

AdamSmith and whipped guy like this.
  12. whipped guy

whipped guy Regent

Спасибо! Thank you!

May the gods bless transliteration!

AdamSmith likes this.
  13. AdamSmith

Spanish trumpets sticking out the front of the Duke Flentrop. "To blast those Methodist bishops down the aisle!" said Fenner Douglass, co-architect of the organ with Dirk Flentrop. :D

[​IMG]

whipped guy likes this.
  14. whipped guy

whipped guy Regent

And hopefully not risk shattering a stained glass window in the process!

[​IMG]

quoththeraven and AdamSmith like this.
  15. AdamSmith

The Duke organ is a marvel of tonal balance & correctness at the same time as an extraordinarily well controlled mix of 3 different styles that Flentrop initially fought against: foundation the high North German school, then Fenner insisted on the Spanish trumpets and some interior Spanish stops so the instrument could properly perform the 17th/18th-century Spanish repertoire. Then, after the wind chests had been fabricated and drilled, Fenner came swooping in with his new research on Cavaille-Coll and somehow persuaded Dirk to re-drill them to accommodate a bunch of French reed pipes so that the instrument could also perform the great 19th-century French Romantic pieces by Franck et al.

It is no wonder that the thing ended up costing $550,000 in 1977 dollars. :eek:

quoththeraven and whipped guy like this.
  16. whipped guy

whipped guy Regent

As always I am amazed at not only Mr. Smith's knowledge regarding the organ, but also his interesting "now you know the rest of the story" anecdotes about various instruments! Priceless!

However, I must comment on what was the original intent of this thread. Several weeks ago my next door neighbor down south suddenly had to sell her home. She wanted me to have her electric keyboard. It needs to be repaired, but I was still very happy that she wanted me to have it. It has a harpsichord as well as what is classified as a cembalo sound. They are very similar, but the cembalo has a bit of a more robust character. In any event, it is perfect for my non professional needs and I can finally play 18th Century music on something that at least gives a semblance regarding how things should really sound. It certainly makes the music come to life in a way that a traditional piano does not even if it is not quite the real deal.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
    honcho, quoththeraven and AdamSmith like this.
  17. AdamSmith

18. whipped guy

whipped guy Regent

I hate reviving old threads and especially one that has taken detour into different territory, but I just replaced an old electric keyboard that was given to me by my neighbor with a newer model. It has four harpsichord sounds and I am loving it. Does it sound exactly like the real thing? Not really, but it's quite close and perfect for my needs, plus it has piano and organ options as well. Not to mention other sounds all with the action of a concert grand. Also, no tuning involved.. It comes with equal temperament, but if you have a degree from MIT it can be tuned in a different manner.... Plus I have significant space issues and it is the only option to get a musical instrument into my life at the Southern Command Post. Regarding the organ sounds available, the Diapason Octive option has proven to be quite fun to ticker with! It reminds me of riding the carousel as a kid!!!!

[​IMG]

quoththeraven, honcho and AdamSmith like this.
  19. AdamSmith

More on this detail would be fascinating!

20. AdamSmith