São Paulo - Touring

Discussion in 'The South of the USA FAQ' started by trilingual, Apr 30, 2003.

1. trilingual

trilingual Marquess

Please post info about São Paulo attractions, events, tour guides, etc., here.

2. BJohn4567

BJohn4567 Guest

For those desiring culture, the MASP, Sao Paulo's main art museum on Paulista Ave, should be included in itinerary. The big names are well represented, including 5 Van Goghs!. Other's: Cezanne, Gaugin, Monet, Renoir, Rembrandt, Goya, Picasso. Great self-service restaurant in basement. The Luz monastery, not far from Placa Republica, contains a Sacred art collection within its building that is representative of colonial Sao Paulo.

3. Axiom2001

Axiom2001 Regent

Contact Carlo at Romanus's; I sought his services in October when I went to Sao Paulo; he lined up two excellent guides for me (both gay men who spoke fluent English). I informed them of the specific tours I had wanted to participate in, and they did the rest. Specifics about Carlo's travel offers are listed in the forum; he has a wonderful web.
    Carlo--himself-- is a gem-- very personable and seemingly wants his clients to get the MOST from their experiences in Sao Paulo and Salvador- Bahia, and any other places they desire to go while in Brasil.

4. TotallyOz

TotallyOz Baron

Museu Afro-Brasil

Museu Afro-Brasil
    Avenida Pedro lvares Cabral
    Zona Sul - 5579-0593

This museum is located in the park. I went to the park and had a beautiful walk and you can even rent bikes by the museum for a bike ride. It is a great deal of fun in that area.

The museum was great. They have a nice collection of early Brasilian history and many paintings, drawings, maps, carvings and etc. I especially enjoyed the collection of photographs from years gone by and from current times.

The museum was free and no charge to get in. It is really worth a visit. I would suggest taking someone with you that speaks the language here as they do not have english subtitles. :)

A great way to spend a morning or afternoon! :)