Trump: 'you can grab them by the pussy','mover her like a bitch'. OCTOBER SURPRISE?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion & War Issues' started by marylander1940, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Frequentflier

Frequentflier Viscount

This.... x 100

Hardly anyone is talking about his tax evasion and how not paying means not supporting the military, veterans and their families. Or supporting infrastructure improvements which is a very PRO business investment. Why aren't we talking about this, because he's hogging the airwaves talking about his Julian Assange like sexual predatory behavior. Oh, and that the election is rigged. I almost want to agree with him because its so hard to believe 40% + of those polled trust him to be President.

I'm tired of wars and the toll they take in lost lives, cost and distraction from improvements we need to make within the 50 states. I do think Trump would get us into a third World War and don't doubt he'd have no problem using nukes. The politicians supporting Trump apparently don't realize their phalanx of taxpayer funded security guards, drivers, palatial offices, expense accounts, etc. won't insulate them from the disasters Trump in office would bring. So if they truly don't want Hillary to win they need to think about what their fat asses are risking with Trump. Or, they have no plans to actually vote for Trump and just say they will to get his infested foaming at the mouth 40% or so of supporters to re elect them.

We need massive overhaul in our system: Every position is term limited, only people can contribute, no PACs, limited time frame for campaigning, no lobbying, no gerrymandering, etc. If we make these changes I think more people would run for office and be able to actually focus on their jobs. And at the end of the process, maybe the Presidency should be one six year term.

2. deej

deej Administrator

Term limits is no magical answer. We live with them in CA. By the time an elected official gains enough experience to actually know how to get anything done they're termed out and getting themselves elected to some new position again.

On campaign finance reform, one of the CA ballot initiatives actually instructs state officials and congress members to use every available method to work for the overturn of Citizen's United, up to and including working toward a constitutional amendment. I hope it passes and gets the ball rolling.

Kenny, WilliamM, glennnn and 2 others like this.
  3. bigjoey

bigjoey Marquess

Some thoughts:
    1-There is a difference between "tax evasion" and "tax avoidance" and from what we know, there has been no illegal "tax evasion."

2-lobbying is not and should not be illegal; there should be restrictions placed on who can do lobbying to stop the revolving door between government service and members of their families from being lobbyists. Speaking fees in the hundreds of thousands of dollars to relatives in government needs to be prohibited (think: "Friends of Bill" getting priority in the award of government contracts issued by the State Department while his wife was Secretary of State).

3-definitely a limited time frame for campaigns; I was in Israel before an election and they have a prohibition on TV advertising a couple of weeks before an election which I think could help.

4-reasonable term limits could help but is no cure as deej points out.

5-"Citizens United" is a red herring and not that important. Remember it applies to unions, too. Money does not determine a winner; when this election is done, I would not be surprised if Clinton does outspend Trump by two or three times as she collected most of the corporate funds and not Trump. Governor Brown inCalifornia was outspent when he won his first term as was Governor Christi. Money is nice but it is not the sole determinant of winning.

6-putting limits on donations and other campaign restrictions need to be careful of our "free speech" rights. There is a trade off but I am in favor of the fewest limits possible and give more weight to free speech.

7-I would be in favor of a single 6 year term for the presidency as you suggest. There are pro and cons but I think the good outweighs the bad.

Nvr2Thick likes this.
  4. WilliamM

WilliamM Prince

Anderson Cooper is interviewing Mrs. Melania Trump concerning the Billy Bush tapes tonight at 8:00PM EDT

Nvr2Thick likes this.
  5. Frequentflier

Frequentflier Viscount

I don't see any one magical answer but several changes that are necessary.

In the Congressional District I live in the Representative has been in place for over 20 years. Its way too difficult for the newcomer to unseat her. She has government funded means of communication (email/mail/conference calls/town halls), she has accumulated a lot of money over the years, she accomplishes nothing while promising everything ("but Republicans won't let me get anything accomplished"). I see term limits work well for the President, our Governor, our Mayor, our City Council members, etc. Maybe they'd make fewer promises and do less in return for campaign money if they weren't running for office all the time and dialing for dollars daily. In my area, we couldn't get anyone worse. The "establishment" feeling with these lifers is gross. I'm so over the lifers from both parties including Schumer, Reid, McConnell, Ryan, Graham, McCain, etc., etc. Easier to run and more opportunities. Worth a try.

6. MassageGuy

MassageGuy Lord

This is the only method to get corruption out of the system...

7. sync

sync Viscount

Melania Trump's first introduction to his campaign was plagiarized, and we should believe her now?

8. WilliamM

WilliamM Prince

Tonight was Q & A, not a speech. While supporting her husband completely, Melania did say sometimes it feels like there are 2 boys in the house: her 11-year old son and her 70-year old husband.

9. bigjoey

bigjoey Marquess

"..only..." is hardly correct. In my post #203 above, I give the example of paying outrageous amounts for a canned hour speech and then being rewarded with government contracts. This should qualify for "corruption" on a normal day. A constitutional amendment or Supreme Court reversal of Citizens United would not stop this type of corruption or dozens of other ways to corrupt our government.

Nvr2Thick likes this.
  10. Nvr2Thick

Nvr2Thick Viscount

...to sway the hearts and minds of the remaining five Trump supporters who didn't already rationalize a way to excuse or forgive him.

11. sync

sync Viscount

Credibility, or the lack of it, is not limited to a venue.

Nvr2Thick likes this.
  12. WilliamM

WilliamM Prince

I liked her far, far more than Trump. She was not kidding about two children in the house Donald and their son.

Nvr2Thick likes this.
  13. Kenny

Kenny Marquess

A press conference with Malaria had been promised to present documents that would confirm her legal immigration status, despite considerable evidence to the contrary. But it never happened. This was her first press availability since then, but Cooper didn't say a word about it? Even though immigration is one of her husband's primary talking point? #fail

WilliamM and MassageGuy like this.
  14. WilliamM

WilliamM Prince

Following George Washington's two term example, only Franklin Roosevelt sought and won a third (and fourth term).

15. mike carey

mike carey Marquess

It's interesting to watch the dynamics of term-limited presidential administrations as opposed to unlimited terms of office in parliamentary systems. I can understand why term limits are in place, but can't see that the single term as happens in Mexico is all that good an idea. Part of the attraction of them in the US is that presidents have fixed terms that can only end in very specific circumstances, so if things turn sour it's hard to get rid of them.

In parliamentary systems the prime minister holds office on the say-so of his MPs (as we have demonstrated over the last 9 years!). If a Trump-like figure were to be elected in one of the Anglophone parliamentary democracies he would most likely be sacked by his party in the first six months (leaving aside that he would be unlikely to get there in the first place). There are no term limits in Australia, but in the 115 years since federation, the longest terms of prime ministers have been 16 years (1949-1965), 8 years (1983-1991) and 11 years (1996-2007). In two of those cases, their parties had longer continuous terms than the PMs. Even without term limits the country tends to tire of either the party in government or the PM and they are out of office. Things are much the same in the UK where Thatcher and Blair had more than two terms but for differing reasons their terms ended, and not at an election.

Kenny likes this.
  16. MassageGuy

MassageGuy Lord

Trump's Wall

Kenny likes this.
  17. MassageGuy

MassageGuy Lord

18. Kenny

Kenny Marquess

Experience matters. Would you hire anyone in any other field because they had zero experience in doing the job? Probably not, unless there was no other choice. An appeal to term limits is mostly an expression of frustration -- understandable, but also unworkable.

Being in a job for a few years, learning complex issues and governing mechanisms, gaining trust of colleagues -- all that and more goes out the window with term limits. As a result, a prime problem is that term limits hand over even more power to lobbyists. They become the only ones in place with experience. They become the permanent government.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    quoththeraven and WilliamM like this.
  19. Kenny

Kenny Marquess

The only other country that I know of, and there may be more, with a single six-year presidential term is the Philippines. It works as badly there as it does in Mexico.

WilliamM likes this.
  20. jjkrkwood

jjkrkwood Regent

Well Melaria is certainly on the same page with Trump as far as strategy..... BLAME SOMEONE ELSE !

But her making those outrageous comments only sounded like she was having "phone sex"....