Deleting search history from Firefox

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Kevin Slater, Aug 12, 2017.

1. I use Firefox on a Mac. If I enter text into a search field (on this site to search forum posts, for example), it remembers past searches and suggests them when I click on that field next time. I used to be able to clear out specific entries by highlighting them and holding the shift and delete keys. Beginning yesterday, this no longer works; when I try, the entire pop-down list of suggestions just disappears, only to pop up again next time I perform a search. Thoughts?

Kevin Slater

2. Keith30309

Keith30309 Count

This is for a Firefox for Windows - I'm not sure how it may differ on a Mac: I enter a letter ('space' seems to serve as a wildcard) and a scroll-box opens with all my form history. I hover over one, not click, and press Delete and it is removed from the list.

THIS article seems to say that shift-Del should work on a Mac. Also, it says "you can delete your entire autocomplete lists from the Firefox "History (or Tools) -> Clear Recent History" menu"

So, basically, I'm no help whatsoever.

Kevin Slater likes this.
  3. RyanDean

RyanDean Lord

@Kevin Slater - have you tried clicking DELETE while holding BOTH "shift" and "command"? Seems to work for me.

4. Thanks, but no luck here.

Kevin Slater

5. RyanDean

RyanDean Lord

That's very strange. Sorry about that. What a tedious hassle.

6. I found a solution. If I click and hold on a term, it then gets highlighted and shift + delete then gets rid of it. Strange that it would change after all these years, but I'm glad to again be able to erase any embarrassing term I may have once searched for. :p

Kevin Slater

RyanDean and quoththeraven like this.