Firefox has become Bloated

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by gallahadesquire, Nov 6, 2017.

1. bigvalboy

bigvalboy Regent

I agree...I'm a little gun shy. I loved it, but it kept crashing my system, so I think I'll take a wait-n-see.

2. sync

sync Count

I made the leap about ten minutes ago, so far so good. The download and installation was good, smooth and fast. I'm hoping "good" and "fast" will not be either/or in this case. If I hit any snags, I'll report back.
    [​IMG]

bigvalboy and oldNbusted like this.
  3. Quantum runs about as much RAM on a mac as Chrome (so basically, for a mac user, it's not really a gigantic step up).

However, for a PC user, it's a lot less bloated.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  4. bigvalboy

bigvalboy Regent

[​IMG]

5. deej

deej Administrator

It seems to work fine. It's VISIBLY faster! But I wasn't having any problems before, so take that with a grain of salt.

MassageGuy, bigvalboy and oldNbusted like this.
  6. Are you Mac or pc?

Kevin Slater

7. Just installed. So far, much faster (on my mac) and I got clipping back!

Kevin Slater

bigvalboy likes this.
  8. Charlie

Charlie Peer

I didn't try to install it. I opened my Firefox browser, and the old one was gone, and the new one was in its place. At first I panicked, because I couldn't find my old bookmarks, but I finally did, except that opening them takes one more step than it used to. However, everything does seem to be much faster.

9. deej

deej Administrator

Both. But haven't opened the Mac in a few days so this was PC.

10. Picky as it sounds, I'd find that a major pain. At work, I have hundreds of sites bookmarked and use them regularly. One of the MS Word updates changed opening a recently-used file from one clicks to two, and it still annoys me.

quoththeraven likes this.
  11. My home page is a simple html doc I made myself that lives on my hard drive with all my bookmarks on it, categorized how I find convenient. Works like a charm.

Kevin Slater

WmClarke likes this.
  12. oldNbusted

oldNbusted Viscount

Can you use the Bookmarks > Show All Bookmarks command to move them where they used to appear? Not sure I understand how they were for you before, but I want to believe they could be organized the same as before...

13. sync

sync Count

Sorry you are having that issue with your bookmarks. My bookmarks link option came back in the new Firefox just where it was in the previous version (at the top left of the page along with the "File," "Edit," "View," History," "Tools," and "Help" options.)

oldNbusted likes this.
  14. Charlie

Charlie Peer

Mine came back in a different spot in the upper right of the page, but the different icon confused me at first.

oldNbusted likes this.
  15. I don't like that all the little tabs are now black / dark grey, but otherwise it's good so far.

Kevin Slater

16. BlueSky

BlueSky Journeyman

I did the update at work and home. So far so good. Time will tell but I like it so far.

17. Larstrup

Larstrup Count

Click menu (three bars upper right side) >customize>bottom of page click "themes">change theme from "default" to "light" (restores tabs to light background.)

Kevin Slater likes this.
  18. Thanks!

Kevin Slater

19. I had performance and reliability issues with Firefox and switched to Chrome years ago.

20. deej

deej Administrator

I use Chrome as primary but I have autoplay disabled and it messes with some sites once you click "play" so I usually keep Firefox open just for those URLs.