Guess We're Getting a (Trade) War With China Whether We Wanted It or Not

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion & War Issues' started by quoththeraven, Dec 2, 2016.

1. I guess Obama DID ONE good thing from your point of view during his presidency...

2. bigjoey

bigjoey Duke

It will be interesting to see what happens when Trump invites the Delai Lama to lunch if a phone call sets off this much angst. I can hear the liberal complaints about the Trump/Delai Lama lunch now: Trump's lunch was worse for our China relations than when President Obama did it because-he had a bigger lunchen; his lunchen had more courses; the Delai Lama came in the front door(Obama had him use a small side door); there were more people present; etc. :)

The sad thing is there is so much to legitimately attack Trump like the coming conflict-of-interest and some of his cabinet appointments, this phone call attack is just misplaced.

3. bigjoey

bigjoey Duke

I have commented on positive aspects of the Obama presidency. Just a day or so ago, someone posted a Christmas photo of the Obama family and I praised how good a model family they were. I have praised parts of the ACA. I have praised his SC picks (who are doing well). I have not been totally negative on his presidency. Any critism has been fact based.

marylander1940 likes this.
  4. Good point and I meant Obama's foreign policy... and think the best thing his done is making the Iraqis wear their pants and take care of their own garbage instead of asking us to do it for them. Will they continue fighting with their own army, or lean back in the U.S. or even better hire Putin to do it for them?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  5. Noting to worry in Asia... LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NOW

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    WilliamM and pitman like this.
  6. WilliamM

WilliamM Regent

The New York Times is worried also.. The phone call was the lead story in the newspaper this morning.

7. WilliamM

WilliamM Regent

Kenny's ban ended a week ago.

8. Lookin

Lookin "Bestower of Forgiveness"

[​IMG]
    Purplekow spots the goomara coming 'round the silo
    He hopes the Missus is busy ruminating over her cud

WilliamM likes this.
  9. bigjoey

bigjoey Duke

So why was my reference out-of-date about your snide comment to avoid providing a real answer?

10. bigjoey

bigjoey Duke

Slow news day. :)

11. BOZO T CLOWN

BOZO T CLOWN Count

The NY Times has long ago given up any pretense of legitimate journalism, and is now a mouthpiece for liberal causes and Trump hit pieces and lies.

America Will Be Great Again
    48 days to go

Bozo

RockyMount likes this.
  12. WilliamM

WilliamM Regent

Why are always so angry and confrontational, Bozo? Your candidate won. A sincere congratulations. There's no need to respond to every anti-Trump comment anymore. :)

13. trav05

trav05 Master

Why do you get to decide who gets to post or not. So everyone can post all the anti Trump they want, but Bozo isn't allowed to respond. You've been living in Kenny's basement for to long.

BOZO T CLOWN and RockyMount like this.
  14. RockyMount

RockyMount Knight

Finally, talking to an elected Chinese leader for a change instead of a dictator. Refreshing. Maybe the last 8 years of appeasement have come to an end. It's about time the USA stopped the idea that the Chinese will always get what they want. China is building illegal and provocative military bases throughout the South China Sea on lands claimed by other nations. China is a totalitarian regime that jails political dissenters. No freedoms, no liberty. An exporter of pollution and a massive intellectual property thief. Red China can whine all they freakin want. We run a huge trade deficit with them and they would be the losers in any dust up with us!!

Just a side note....the U.S. is a sovereign nation and our leaders can talk to whomever they want.

BOZO T CLOWN likes this.
  15. All the Taiwan incident probes is Mr. Trump's ignorance of and lack of experience on the diplomatic field. Nothing new here, it is a non consequential incident and not a big deal. Hopefully he will have a foreign issues team to advise him and control his impulses. If we are going to continue making a big deal out of every single incident, if something really serious happens it is going to get lost in the white noise. Who knows, may be these little mistakes are lessons Trump and his team are learning to improve their game. Of course it does not help if you do not recognize the mistake.

The newspapers headlines about wall street record numbers have been up for a long time. It is just a tendency product of Obama's administration, successful or not. Unemployment has been going down, public deficit has been going down, and all the other numbers we know but apparently do not read the same way. Most of the economic trends we will see up to Trump's administration first semester, maybe first year, good and bad trends, should be explained by Obama's policies. Public policy does not have an immediate and instantaneous effect on socioeconomical trends.

About Carrier, I think we all are happy for the workers who are keeping their jobs, and for their families. However, Trump did exactly the opposite he claimed he would do during the campaign. He promised he would punish the companies exporting jobs with extra taxes and penalties, instead he is generously paying to a company to keep just some of the jobs it is exporting. As I said in another post, let's see what the policies are to stop the draining of industrial jobs, Indiana is just one isolated case. And it is not a good precedent in terms of public policy.

honcho and bigjoey like this.
  16. BOZO T CLOWN

BOZO T CLOWN Count

WRONG!
    What the "Taiwan incident" shows is President Trump's commitment to freedom and support for those who share our values. No one gives a rats butt what China thinks anyway. They will be next to be attacked on trade deals and issues. US companies operating in their rice infested country will be begin to come home. . We will add a 35% tax on any goods coming out of China It's about time we show some backbone that we are not afraid of China --we will talk to any country or any one we wish to. Obama, Democrats and liberal journalists may be shaking in their boots but President Trump is going to show the communist dictators in Beijing that they cannot dictate USA who our friends can/should be. Welcome to the Era of Trump.

47 days to go

Bozo

17. Yes, @BOZO T CLOWN , it is public knowledge Mr. Trump's admiration for foreign regimes that foster our same values. :rolleyes:

Your overconfidence and unwillingness to accept any criticism do not help your credibility. Trump is playing a game he has never played before. Of course he is going to make mistakes. How can you learn and get better at anything if you do not recognize and learn from your own mistakes?

WilliamM likes this.
  18. BOZO T CLOWN

BOZO T CLOWN Count

You don't get it. Do you? Taking a congratulatory telephone call from a democratically elected leader of a country that shares our worldview and values was not a "mistake". It was a gesture with significance. We will not cower to the whims and will of tinpot communist dictators that deny their citizens basic human rights. Let them clean up their brutal regime before telling us how to run our foreign policy.
    If the Chinese communists, liberals, establishment, and corrupt media think Mr. Trump made a mistake to speak with President Tsai, then we know for sure it was the right thing to do.
    The Trump Era has arrived.

47 days to go

Bozo

19. WilliamM

WilliamM Regent

From today's New York Times Sunday, December 4, 2016

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/03/us/politics/donald-trump-taiwan-china.html?ref=politics

"There are also lingering questions about Mr. Trump’s business dealings in Taiwan. The news media there has reported that the Trump Organization sent a representative to Taiwan to explore building a luxury hotel in a government-backed development near Taipei’s airport, though an official with the Trump Organization said it was not planning any expansion into Taiwan.

The Trump Organization does not dispute that one of its employees — assigned to promote hotel sales related to Asia — was in Taipei, the capital, in October for a work-related visit. The duties of the executive, Anne-Marie Donoghue, include trying to find guests for the company’s hotels worldwide, and she is not involved in developing new real estate projects for Trump Hotels.

For the Chinese government, as for many other governments around the world, Mr. Trump’s freewheeling diplomacy poses a challenge. At first, China’s foreign minister, Wang Yi, played down the episode, saying it was a “petty action by the Taiwan side” that would not upset the longstanding policy of One China.

But hours later, the Chinese Foreign Ministry lodged a formal complaint with the Obama administration. It urged the United States to “handle issues related to Taiwan carefully and properly to avoid causing unnecessary interference to the overall U.S.-China relationship.”"

David Shambaugh, the director of the China policy program at George Washington University, said Beijing’s measured response made sense. But he said that if the Trump administration took more concrete steps to change time-tested ways of dealing with Taiwan, “they can expect additional pushback from China.”

20. bostonman

bostonman Earl

Houston, we have a problem. I think it's common sense to say that one must be able to acknowledge a mistake has been made in order to fix it. Unfortunately, "I made a mistake" a phrase that is simply not in the trump lexicon.

No recognizing, no learning. No learning, no getting better. Mistake America Not Great Again.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    WilliamM likes this.