Hairspray Live

Discussion in 'Comedy & Tragedy' started by actor61, Dec 8, 2016.

1. jjkrkwood

jjkrkwood Regent

Ah, we agree on something ! :p:p Snacking on my chocolate drizzled crunch and munch loses its punch IF i have to "think" too much ....

2. bostonman

bostonman Earl

And I tend to think that Edna Turnblad would agree with you. :D

And a side note on that - of course, Edna herself is not a drag queen, the actor is playing a role in drag. But I did see a (very good) production once where "Eddie" and Wilbur were a gay couple, with "Edna" being Eddie's drag name. It was surely intended as an extra comment on acceptance - but it didn't really register - and I think it wound up a rather superfluous addition. So there is indeed such a thing as trying to do too much "message."

3. actor61

actor61 Lord

I saw Hairspray on B'way after Fierstein and Dick Latessa left the show. The replacements I saw were John Pinette and Stephen Di Rosa (sp?). They were superb. Pinette was so much more appealing to me than Fierstein. I know it's his trademark, but I can't listen to Fierstein's voice for longer than 5 minutes. It was less grating 30 years ago in Torch Song but has just gotten horrible with aging. Pinette can actually sing and harmonizes wonderfully and funnily with Di Rosa. Fierstein and Short just didn't even seem to be singing the same song last night. Watch the Pinette/Di Rosa version of "Timeless to Me" on You Tube and then rewatch Fierstein and Short's version in last night's disaster. The difference in singing, comedy, style and just downright good acting will astound you.

And I'm sticking to my guns in my opinion of Jennifer Hudson's singing. I saw her vastly overrated performance as Shug in the revival of The Color Purple, a show that virtually demands the vocal pyrotechnics at which Hudson is so proficient, but nothing she did in that show seemed to come from the heart - at least not to me. It was all showing off and there was no underpinning of truth or real emotion. I see her mouth open and hear the sounds come out and I know I'm supposed to be impressed but her eyes look dead to me and I'm eerily unmoved. Whitney Huson, a genius at riffs and scoops could move me to tears. Hudson just moves me out of the theatre.

4. bostonman

bostonman Earl

I saw Stephen DeRosa as the Baker in the rather ill-begotten first revival of Into The Woods in 2002 (the one with the severely miscast Vanessa Williams). DeRosa and Kerry O'Malley played wonderfully off of each other as Baker and Wife - I can imagine the same of him with Pinette. I also don't disagree with you about Fierstein, lol - and yes, when an Edna can actually sing the notes in "Timeless" it's obviously much better. Still, I do admit I like Harvey in his own way. So be it.

5. actor61

actor61 Lord

6. actor61

actor61 Lord

7. hornytwells

hornytwells Count

am speaking as someone indirectly involved in the show........that's all I am saying for now!

8. bostonman

bostonman Earl

If you're talking about the actor's interest in another actor, no comment, and I'm not sure we should be even going there. I'm just saying I didn't observe that in the portrayal of the character.

9. jjkrkwood

jjkrkwood Regent

Perhaps it is just projection and wishful thinking. I didnt get that he was GAY, just a pretty boy with a Gay sensibility. Kinda "metro" as todays peeps would say. I did enjoy all his shiny, tight, colorful "sharkskin" suits.

10. actor61

actor61 Lord

The sexiest Link ever was, of course, the original in the John Waters film with Rikki Lake on which the musical is based. That kid was gorgeous and had a quiet smoulder that was very seductive. He later starred in a short lived t.v. series about Elvis Presley but then kind of disappeared from view. Anybody know whatever happened to him?

WmClarke likes this.
  11. bostonman

bostonman Earl

Info on Michael St. Gerard, according to this website:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/50677/hairspray-where-are-they-now

"Although he had several roles after Hairspray (including four as Elvis) dreamy Link Larkin quit showbiz to become a youth pastor. As of 2011, he was working at Harlem Square Church in NYC."

Hmm...

12. hornytwells

hornytwells Count

No, I am saying that I am not the only one that made that observation based on the show, not the background info-if you look at twitter you will see lots of people made similar observations........ (I just had it corroborated)

13. bostonman

bostonman Earl

When you said you were "indirectly involved" with the show, it sounded like you were insinuating something based on the actual actor's interaction. Now I'm not sure what you're saying. I think we should just let this go.

14. bostonman

bostonman Earl

By the way, I understand that the reason Chenoweth didn't get her bow on camera at the end was due to some sort of "wardrobe malfunction." In which case, the cameras/directors caught that pretty damn quickly - bravo for them after all.

I still think the camerawork for the Von Tussle's "yes we can" moment in "You Can't Stop The Beat" was handled badly - I'm assuming that was NOT a costume issue.

WmClarke likes this.