Harpsichord, anyone?

Discussion in 'Comedy & Tragedy' started by gallahadesquire, Sep 7, 2015.

1. AdamSmith

AdamSmith Count de Crisco

Just noticed that the ceiling-can lights in this pic reveal that this is the Duke Flentrop fully assembled in the Flentrop workshop in Zaandam, Nederland (http://www.flentrop.nl/ukflentroporgan.html) before being disassembled and shipped to Durham, NC.

2. gallahadesquire

gallahadesquire Marquess

Does it also change the touch of the keyboard? Some of the better models (and this sounds like one) change the touch between piano, organ, and harpoon ... uh, harpsichord.

AdamSmith likes this.
  3. Jbdesc

Jbdesc Master

Wow, that is quite the instrument. I have an electric keyboard, I don't feel I play well enough to invest that heavily. That being said I am going to be buying a new one. Mine is not full size and is really limiting my ability to play, that and the weighted keys this one has do not feel very authentic like some of the newer ones. Off to the stores I go!

4. whipped guy

whipped guy Regent

I have not gotten to that part yet. However, I doubt that I will be tampering with that aspect. One of the reasons one gets an electronic instrument is never having to tune it. However, if I ever get that degree from MIT I will consider playing around with it. That is part of what is called Virtual Technician and you can voice the instrument as well.
    Yes, you can adjust the touch. There are five settings. It was suggested that I use light touch to start and then go from there. I decided to return it to the factory setting which is in the middle. For harpsichord and organ you can turn the touch off with a push of a button so as to replicate an instrument that is not touch sensitive.

Incidentally, it comes with all sorts of instrumental sounds. I have been experimenting and one of the guitar sounds blends in perfectly with the harpsichord options and replicates what a lute stop would sound like. It has been fun to play say the trio section of a minuet with such a setting. Things are also set up so one can easily do so at the push of a button as long as you set things up properly previous to playing the piece.
    For the record it is a Kawai CN 35. The local dealer sells them for the online price and delivered it, put it together(I did give him a helping hand) and set it up at no additions charge. Plus, he took my old keyboard away (the one that my neighbor had given me) again at no additional charge. I had looked at a similar Yamaha Clavinova and this gave you more bang for your buck. Plus, it was easier to switch between the various parameters and "stops" while you were playing. It had better speakers as well. They have less expensive models that are again better value than comparable Clavinovas.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    quoththeraven, Jbdesc and AdamSmith like this.
  5. whipped guy

whipped guy Regent

I am trying to figure our which of the piano sounds best replicates a Viennese fortepiano. I am tempted to use the "Honky-tonk" sound that screams discordant old piano, but ironically what is classified as "Rock Pano" has a sound that is reasonably close. While there is an overall dry sound the bass rattles with a certain amount of fury that mellows out at a bit below middle C and then goes on to have a harp-like qulity above the staff. It has a twangy pungent sound at times as well. It seems to work with Mozart and Haydn, with early Haydn sounding equally as well (or better) using the harpsichord option.

In any event, using the Rock Piano option really makes Haydn's D-major Sonata Hob XVI/19 come to life. Haydn uses the extremes of the keyboard and the contrast in the different sounds is truly evident. The second movement has cello and flute like moments. Plus in the last movement the bass tremolos thunder and rattle ominously like I have never played it previously. This nicely contrasts the next section which suddenly shifts to the upper extremes of the keyboard to telling effect. On a traditional piano everything sounds homogenized. Not here. Loving it!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    quoththeraven and AdamSmith like this.
  6. I just heard a podcast about one young man's exploration of harpsichords. If anyone is interested, I'll look it up later. Please say so!

honcho, whipped guy and AdamSmith like this.
  7. AdamSmith

SO!

friendofsheila and whipped guy like this.
  8. whipped guy

whipped guy Regent

Ditto............

friendofsheila likes this.
  9. AdamSmith

P.S. Dirk in revenge gave Fenner the devilishly difficult technical job of planning several of the mixtuur ranks necessary in any organ, and here especially so, to blend some of those pitch-wise almost irreconcilable ranks with one another, under the instrument's chosen 1695 Chaumont temperament.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_organ_tuning

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    honcho likes this.
  10. whipped guy

whipped guy Regent