Meryl Streep Golden Globes

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion & War Issues' started by tyro, Jan 9, 2017.

1. tyro

tyro Salty Broad

Please watch her acceptance speech. Just...please. Every just so often, humanity doesn't suck.
    T

s1conrad, Lookin, Whitman and 8 others like this.
  2. bigvalboy

bigvalboy Regent

Brilliant....And thank you Ms "T"

There is hope...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    stevenkesslar, Lookin, sync and 6 others like this.
  3. tyro

tyro Salty Broad

Thanks for the "linkage," BVB!
    T

Lookin, WilliamM, sync and 1 other person like this.
  4. Kippy

Kippy Viscount

Where is her concern for the lies, deceit and violence that have followed follow Hillary for the last 40 years? Oh wait, this is show business... these defeated monsters of ego will take eons to heal!

It's over,

Kipp

5. tyro

tyro Salty Broad

In some ways, yes. The election itself is over. The results have been in.

But "it" is not over. Making America great(er) is a responsibility and privilege we all have. Sure, folks on "my" side are whining about the results. They're allowed, last time I checked. But just as another group told America to "move on" years ago, I'd like to humbly ask us ALL, both individually and collectively, to hold a vision of what to move toward. A world of empathy doesn't sound like a bad destination to me.
    T

6. purplekow

purplekow Regent

You ask for silence after 8 years of requests for birth certificates and college transcripts and misrepresentations of religious background. The Republican Congress has been investigating Ms. Clinton since the 1990's, (about the same time the IRS has been investigating mr trump) millions have been spent and not a single indictment. The best possible investigators came up with indiscretions to be sure, misjudgments, regrettable errors but no definitive volitional criminal activity. That makes her human, a politician and a victim of dare I say it. Nah. AGRWC.
    Well your guy is under the spotlight now. So please stop pointing backward for blame, though that is the direction you would have us all take and look forward and tell me, do you really trust the man that will have his finger on the button. Do you believe him to be honest, empathetic, well reasoned, and concerned and involved in the betterment of the nation of the world? If you answer yes, I say, well he has the chance to prove us naysayers wrong, just as the millions of dollars and interminable hours of investigation of your naysayers led to nothing but innuendo and schoolyard nicknames.
    To paraphrase a famous Republican most of us would chose over the one coming into office: You won't have Hillary to kick around anymore.
    So lose the Anti Hillary rhetoric, accept that a lot of people are unhappy with the result of the election , that they are going to complain about it, until America is Great Again. For me the greatness of the country has been and remains, it is the greatness of the new leader I question.
    In case you forgot. If I had a child who did this, I would be humiliated by it. The leader of the free world.

7. westernsyd

westernsyd Knight

Freedom of speech , democracy and using your voice/influence for a great outcome a it's best

8. nynakedtop

nynakedtop Viscount

You really fail to understand that for many of us, far from it all being "over" the true struggle to save America is just beginning.

As we used to say, "the streets belong to the people".

Lookin, latbear4blk, WilliamM and 4 others like this.
  9. bigjoey

bigjoey Duke

Listen and you can hear the tumbrels coming down the street :)

nynakedtop likes this.
  10. BOZO T CLOWN

BOZO T CLOWN Count

Kinda ays it all right here:

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 2h2 hours ago
    Meryl Streep, one of the most over-rated actresses in Hollywood, doesn't know me but attacked last night at the Golden Globes. She is a.....Hillary flunky who lost big. For the 100th time, I never "mocked" a disabled reporter (would never do that) but simply showed him......."groveling" when he totally changed a 16 year old story that he had written in order to make me look bad. Just more very dishonest media!

6:36 AM - 9 Jan 2017

Meryl Streep's speech was full of so many falsehoods its hard to know where to start.

Basically, she needs to clearly understand that its NOT the media's job to stand against the POTUS, its their responsibility to present the news in an honest, non-biased, and factual way.

Streep is just another example of a "crying snowflake". She wants people to think she has a "heart of gold". What she needs to do is walk the talk. I don't see her doing that.

Again Hollywood hypocrites think it's ok to bash everyone that doesn't agree with them and push the lie that Trump made fun of a disabled person. Anyone with even a smidgen of intelligence knew it would be a Trump bashing party last night. It's too bad all the liberals that said they would leave the USA if Bush and/or Trump were elected didn't live up to their boast. Just more liberal lies.....

America Will Be Great Again
    11 days ago

Bozo

11. longtime lurker

longtime lurker Viscount

I can't remember. Did Georgie Porgie Bush get all up in arms when the Dixie Chicks "critiqued" him? Or do Texan Republicans have thicker skin?

12. MartyB

MartyB Knight

This year a woman lost the election due to innuendo and rumor while a Kardashian won with the facts stating us in the face..and for those of you naive supporters of his his wait till he appoints sure court justices who will take away your rights.

N13 and bigvalboy like this.
  13. Keith30309

Keith30309 Count

On 60 Minutes last night was a story about the US policy of not allowing ransom to be paid for hostages taken by ISIS. One parent of a man taken hostage commented that he had posed this moral quandary to President Obama - how can you balance the greater good of US interests in discouraging the taking of hostages and withholding financial support against the agony of individuals - in this case, the parents of a man who saw a video of their son being beheaded. It's a problem without a good solution but one that ultimately falls onto the shoulders of the President.

A few hours later, President Elect Trump is taking a swipe at a Hollywood actress on the Golden Globes award TV show.

If Harry Truman had a sign on his desk that said "The buck stops here" then what will the sign on President Trump's desk say? "They're lying about me"?

What will he tweet when he goes to Andrews AFB and greets the airplanes bringing home the flag-draped coffins of US servicemen killed in action: "It's not my fault."?

latbear4blk, Lookin, honcho and 3 others like this.
  14. BOZO T CLOWN

BOZO T CLOWN Count

As usual, Bozo didn't watch the Emmys or Oscars or what ever this self absorbed award show was last night! Honestly, I never understood why there are so many fools that bother to tune in to watch these actors fawn over each other and pat each other on the back. Telling each other how great they are! Bozo never followed a celebrity for anything they have ever done. I couldn't tell you who 90% of the actors are now a days and if they were to fall off the face of the earth, I wouldn't notice either! Really, who is it that watches this garbage? It is not the good old days of the Golden Age of Hollywood. What they do on the big screen is not art. It's garbage with a political agenda.

I tried to watch Out of Africa several times, but fell asleep every time. I agree with The Mr. Trump. Streep is indeed overrated......highly overrated.

11 days to go

Bozo

pubic_assistance likes this.
  15. longtime lurker

longtime lurker Viscount

Mel Gibson was there. So was Vince Vaughan next to him. They didn't look amused. Not sure if they supported Trump though. May have switched to the Libertarian party lately.

That is what a cluster of us think. The whole "this country is a total disaster" is not a good campaign strategy. You will be held accountable if what you do is any more "disastrous". It is better to say "this country can stand some improvement".

Most of us don't hate him as passionately as his fans hate Hillary. Yet he hardly acts "presidential" over-reacting to such stupid stuff. Even when Richard Nixon got pissed, he just belly-ached into his private audio tapes rather than in public.

What he probably should have done a while back was put out a tweet or statement like "Gee, I am sorry if folks took offense to my performance. It wasn't my intention to ridicule the disabled." It does not matter if you feel you have NOTHING to apologize for. If you genuinely care about upsetting people, then you should be willing to express some humility and, if not apologize for things you feel you shouldn't apologize, then at least set the record straight.

At least The Evil Witch DID backtrack and apologize about suggesting SOME of the Trump supporters were "deplorables", even though she was VERY specific about which ones: "The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic". Not all of the other Trump supporters. However the racists, sexists, homophobics, xenophobics and Islamaphobics all were upset, so she had to say: "Last night I was grossly generalistic and that's never a good idea. I regret saying 'half'. That was wrong."

16. Moondance

Moondance Marquess

Of course we all knew that Trump would respond to the remarks of -- to quote him -- "one of the most over-rated actresses in Hollywood," a "Hillary flunky."

Even if -- to quote Bozo -- "anyone with even a smidgen of intelligence knew it would be a Trump bashing party last night," apparently President-elect Trump's petty, compulsive need, once again, to belittle one of his critics overwhelmed him. The remarks of an actress at a Golden Globes award show required a comment -- an attack, even -- from the President-elect of the United States.

How sad. How pathetic.

Clearly--there have been so many examples--this small, psychologically damaged man can never (literally never) rise above criticism, can never show himself to be better than that. Can never conduct himself with the dignity of a leader, or the basic maturity of an adult.

And soon he will be the one who decides how to respond to affronts that actually matter -- affronts to the United States of America, to its interests, its citizens, its troops -- and he will have at his disposal means far more powerful than Twitter.

GOD HELP US.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    s1conrad, WilliamM, N13 and 8 others like this.
  17. BOZO T CLOWN

BOZO T CLOWN Count

Which only goes to prove....there is a GOD.

11 days to go

Bozo

18. MiamiLooker

MiamiLooker Count

Your post makes absolutely no sense. Unless you think that somehow she's Trump's puppeteer, what does Hillary have to do with Trump acting like a five year old?

latbear4blk, N13 and bigvalboy like this.
  19. Streep's speech and Trump's entirely predictable (and childish) response to it are a distraction.

The fight with Streep is the controversy the Trump admin wants. The absent ethics documents of its nominees is the controversy they don’t.

Source

It's great that Streep validated the feelings of Trump opponents, but an effective resistance needs more than morale boosts from privileged white feminists. I still haven't gotten over Streep defending wearing a t-shirt saying "I'd rather be a rebel than a slave" - a quote from British suffragette Emmeline Pankhurst, whom Streep portrayed in the film Suffragette - as part of the publicity for the movie when no one involved, from Pankhurst to Streep, was ever in any conceivable danger of enslavement.

If we are as interested in stopping Trump as decrying him, calling senators about the confirmation process is more helpful than participating in this political battle within the entertainment industry. (Remember, Trump is primarily a reality star.)

A note to Trump supporters: your use of ad hominem (ad feminem?) attacks is another sign of rhetorical incompetence. Your beef with Streep is over the substance of her speech, not her acting, and it's deeply uncool and unpersuasive to try to undermine the one by attacking the other. It'd be like me saying Clint Eastwood is a terrible director because I disagree with his politics.

Lookin, TruHart1, honcho and 5 others like this.
  20. Whitman

Whitman Lord

Wow, this really got you all a-flutter, eh, Bozo?

I would have expected your first post to this thread (par for the course from you), but your second post is hilarious ... pretending not to know what the awards show was (even though it's referenced in your first post) ... criticizing folks for watching awards shows in general (not that any of us had to watch the Golden Globes to see Streep's speech) ... the all-important announcement that you, Bozo, are not personally in-the-know about "actors nowadays" (how will the movies survive!?) ... and the clincher: you were bored by Out of Africa.

Important information for us all. Thanks for sharing.