Trump: 'you can grab them by the pussy','mover her like a bitch'. OCTOBER SURPRISE?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion & War Issues' started by marylander1940, Oct 7, 2016.

1. mike carey

mike carey Marquess

Another feature of parliamentary systems is that before becoming prime minister, a politician will usually have had experience of being a member of cabinet in a government or of being in a cabinet-like position in parliament in the opposition.

2. WilliamM

WilliamM Regent

I know you realize that in a parliamentary system, the party (or a coalition) selects the prime minister. So a Republican would now be prime minister, not Obama. I believe the Republican controlled Congress through part of Truman's presidency. The Democrats controlled Congress through most of Eisenhower's presidency.

3. mike carey

mike carey Marquess

Yes, I know that. What I was saying started out as commentary on the term limits in the two systems, and what you quoted was a comment on the differences in what governmental experience a head of government might have under them. You're right about different parties controlling congress and the presidency in the US: in the US people know they can vote differently for congress and the president. If they knew that their vote in congress determined who won the presidency they would weigh their votes accordingly. (Here, the vote in the senate is usually different from that in the house, and the government rarely has a majority in the senate.)

4. Kenny

Kenny Marquess

Americans love divided government. That way, they get to complain when nothing gets done, or to fabricate conspiracy theories when something does.

quoththeraven likes this.
  5. A parliamentary system also puts more emphasis on the party (and party discipline) and possibly less on the individual MP for whom one is voting. It also has the potential for minority and coalition governments, which (in my opinion) would not work well in American political culture.

Those of you who live in countries with parliamentary systems: how much (if at all) does who heads the party and thus will be Prime Minister if the party heads the government factor into your vote vs. the merits of the candidate herself or himself? What happens if you love a parliamentary candidate and hate her opponent but cannot abide her party's choice of leader (and thus potential head of government)? Does it matter less if it appears that your favored candidate's party had no chance at forming a government? But in that case, your favored candidate will be in the minority. How much does that matter?

6. mike carey

mike carey Marquess

There are different election methods in parliamentary systems, list proportional representation, pure district systems and hybrid ones, and how MPs are elected affects how it works. In the national parliament here, it's single member districts, but unlike the US it's preferential voting (you number every candidate and votes are transferred until one has 50% of the vote). Minor parties and independents do win seats.

In the local elections here in Canberra last weekend we have five districts that each return five MPs. It requires computers to do the count. Parties nominate up to five candidates in each district but they are listed on the ballot paper in random order (so the party can't pick its favourite candidate). Voters have to number at least five candidates but can number through all of them on the ballot paper. That means that even within a party electors pick which of its candidates they prefer (it's almost like a primary on election day). The parties can't control which of their candidates are elected, although it favours better known ones. [Vote was 37% Liberal, 39% Labor, 10% Green, 14% other, results look like being 11, 12, 2, 0, although the Sex Party may end up taking one seat from the Liberals (this is not a joke).]
    In Australia, people at large vote on the choice of who will be the PM, but not exclusively. When Rudd and then Abbott were sacked there was widespread complaint that people had 'voted for them'. That said, it is universally recognised that local MPs have a personal vote, if a popular MP retires, the party vote always falls relative to the general vote. There is also, as identified by one psephologist here, a sophomore effect, under which an MP who was newly elected in the previous election will lose less of his/her vote than one who has been there longer.
    This cuts both ways. Before I moved here, my local Liberal (=right wing) candidate was a pentecontalist, and here my local member had a history as a homophobe. In both cases I would have voted against them regardless of which party I preferred as government (as it happens it didn't change my vote). In the latest election, I hadn't moved but the district boundaries had, and my vote wasn't influenced by who the candidates were.

7. jjkrkwood

jjkrkwood Regent

"I'm gonna Rule that fucking White House and Show All You Fools How it's DONE"

[​IMG]

MassageGuy likes this.
  8. here we like outsiders like George W. Bush and self made men like Jeb Bush... o_O LOL

9. Kenny

Kenny Marquess

OH NO! I'm shocked to discover that Malaria Dumpster lied to Anderson Vanderbilt Cooper on CNN last night about never running into the People magazine reporter groped by Dumpster, the reporter who also said she was startled to subsequently encounter Malaria on the street in Manhattan. Malaria threatened to sue her for the claim. But New York magazine now has six witnesses to the encounter. Six! Who could have guessed a plagiarist would lie?

http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/10/six-witnesses-say-people-writer-melania-trump-were-friends.html

10. Ousted ‘Today’ Host Billy Bush Selling NYC Townhouse for... $8.25 Million!?

Who knew Billy Bush was living so large? The former Today host — fired after just two months on the job after that awful leaked audio clip in which he appears alongside Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump — is selling his NYC townhouse for a whopping $8.25 million.

Bush, 45, originally snapped up the abode in December 2015 for — wait for it — $8.8 million. He put it back on the real estate market in April, first asking $8.9 million and cutting the price this week in the wake of the Trump scandal.

https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/ous...nyc-townhouse-for-8-25-million-222018002.html

11. jjkrkwood

jjkrkwood Regent

If ya gonna Grab.......GRAB (and make it count) !!!

[​IMG]

bigjoey likes this.
  12. Americans talk Jeffersonian and live Hamiltonian.

Whatever system, let's get rid of the Hastert rule and simple majority in the Senate (51 or 50 + the Vice President). Filibuster (60) only for big issues: going to war, taxes, healthcare, etc

13. Miss JJ:

you as a CEO would behave JUST like that... :)

14. Oaktown

Oaktown Viscount

If an EOY can serial plagiarize, why can't Monica?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...017/01/09/monica-crowley-plagiarism/96378590/

15. AdamSmith

AdamSmith Count de Crisco

In fairness, she is not quite the towering intellect, but her two memoirs of Nixon do give a surprisingly clear-eyed, and also strikingly lifelike (surely he let her tape-record their conversations, contrary to her saying she just wrote down her recollections after each convo), picture of Nixon as he really must have been then. Both are worth reading. (None of her other output would get that rating from me, you can believe.)

16. and also there's a monarch or a symbolic president on top of him just in case.

TruHart1 likes this.
  17. Oaktown

Oaktown Viscount

Wonder if grabbing them by the pussy and moving them like a bitch counts here.

Moscow (CNN)Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed a law that decriminalizes some forms of domestic violence, according to state-run news agency Tass.

Dubbed the "slapping law," it decriminalizes a first offense of domestic violence that does not seriously injure the person, making it a less serious administrative offense.
    The punishment carries a fine of up to 30,000 rubles ($507), an arrest up to 15 days, or compulsory community service up to 120 hours.

Lookin likes this.
  18. What a role model Putin is. /end sarcasm

TruHart1 and Lookin like this.